Roots of Empathy in England
Please contact Katie Cohen for information on programs in England:
Launched in 2012-2013, Roots of Empathy has reached more than 6000 children in Lewisham and Newcastle. We are pleased to be offering programmes in Nottingham and Doncaster in 2015-2016.
What can Roots of Empathy teach the world? "For the whole world to be friends again!" 13-year-old Student
“The children have a better understanding of how their actions impact others. If we can instill this ethic in them while they are young, we will, in turn, have adults who are more empathetic and inclusive.”
Roots of Empathy Instructors
in-training in Croydon,
- Roots of Empathy was featured in award-winning British director Alex Gabbay’s documentary Love, Hate and Everything In Between, which was launched at the May 2012 London International Documentary Festival to much acclaim. Mary Gordon appeared as part of a panel immediately following a special screening of the film at the Royal Society of Arts in London. Read more about it here.
- Roots of Empathy was officially launched November 2012, at a reception in the House of Lords, hosted by Baronesses Walmsley and Benjamin.
- 97% of teachers strongly agreed or agreed that as a result of Roots of Empathy, students are more able to understand other people's points of view - England Annual Program Evaluation Report 2015
- 94% of students reported that if they saw a friend being bullied or treated meanly, they would help them - England Annual Program Evaluation Report 2015
- Roots of Empathy programs in Newcastle are supported by Action for Children UK, and in Lewisham by Pre-school Learning Alliance Lewisham , with funding from Big Lottery Fund.