Roots of Empathy in Scotland
Please contact Peter Paul for information on programs in Scotland:
Launched in 2010-2011, Roots of Empathy has already reached 15,000 Scottish children.
Scottish children around the green blanket with their
| “Roots of Empathy makes a real and positive difference to the children taking part. Making this program available to all councils is a major step forward and reflects our continued investment towards helping make Scotland the best place in the world to grow up.”
- Aileen Campbell,
Minister for Children and Young People,
||What can Roots of Empathy teach the world?
"Roots of Empathy can teach the world to love
and care for everyone."
- Scotland is the first country worldwide to deliver Roots of Empathy in every council area, following £1.2 million Scottish Government funding.
- North Lanarkshire Council’s Psychological Services conducted research on Roots of Empathy, revealing that the program significantly increased empathy and decreased aggression in Scottish students. You can read the full report here.
- 85% of Scottish teachers strongly agreed or agreed that as a result of Roots of Empathy, pupils are more able to understand other people's points of view - 2014 Annual Program Evaluation Report, Scotland
- Roots of Empathy is implemented in intentionally-selected Scottish schools in resource-poor areas, in schools with the highest level of children requiring additional academic support, and/or schools that report problems with bullying or aggressive behaviour.
- Scotland was the first European region to introduce Seeds of Empathy.
- Roots of Empathy programs are supported in Scotland by: