Roots of Empathy in Scotland
Please contact Katie Cohen for information on programs in Scotland:
Roots of Empathy launched in Scotland in 2010 and has reached nearly 20,000 Scottish children.
Scottish children around the green blanket with their
“Roots of Empathy makes a real and positive difference to the children taking part. Making this program available to all councils is a major step forward and reflects our continued investment towards helping make Scotland the best place in the world to grow up.”
- Aileen Campbell
Minister for Children and Young People,
||What can Roots of Empathy teach the world?
"Roots of Empathy can teach the world to love
and care for everyone."
- Scotland is the first country worldwide to deliver Roots of Empathy in every council area, following £1.2 million Scottish Government funding.
- North Lanarkshire Council’s Psychological Services conducted research on Roots of Empathy, revealing that the program significantly increased empathy and decreased aggression in Scottish students.
- 85% of Scottish teachers strongly agreed or agreed that as a result of Roots of Empathy, pupils are more able to understand other people's points of view - 2014 Annual Program Evaluation Report, Scotland
- Roots of Empathy is implemented in intentionally-selected Scottish schools in resource-poor areas, in schools with the highest level of children requiring additional academic support, and/or schools that report problems with bullying or aggressive behaviour.
- Scotland was the first European region to introduce Seeds of Empathy.
- Roots of Empathy programs are supported in Scotland by: